Sunday, December 5, 2010

Invincible

Lately I've realized how "invincible" us teenagers really think we are. We think that since we're young, we have so much life ahead of us. That we're not going to die until we're in our nursing home years. But last weekend I had an experience that taught me better than anything ever could, that this is not the case.

I was driving on the Highway Sunday morning, transfering from 135 to K96 when I heard a loud pop come from my right front tire. I figured it was just a blow-out, because I had been in cars before when that had happened. However, on the part of ramp I was on when it happened, there were cement barriers on either side, so I had no room to pull over. I had to wait until I was off the ramp to pull off the road to safety. Suddenly, I couldn't control the car. Somehow, I was able to pull to the side of the road without hitting the cement barriers, or anyone else. I called my parents, and they came to get me. But once my Dad got there, expecting to be replacing my tire, he found that there was no blow out. A part called a "ball joint" had fallen off of my car, which is part of the mechanism that controls the steering. When it fell off, the gear was still spinning, and was slowly grating the metal off of the inside of my tire. When the tow truck man arrived at my house to return my car, he told my Dad that he couldn't believe I was still alive and that my car wasn't totalled. That there was no possible way I could be safe.

But I know why I was safe. God was there with me in that car, when I had no control of the wheel, he did. It wasn't my time to go yet, and that is the only reason why I am still alive right now, able to type this blogpost. The ONLY reason my heart still beats this very second is because there is something on this Earth that God wants me to do. No matter what age you are, today could be your last day. It's a very scary thought, but a very realistic one all the same.

After this incident, I have realized that I'm going to spend my life serving God, enjoying his blessings, and loving the people I love while I can. You never know the last time you'll see your best friend, hug your parents, take a shower, drive a car, sit in school, feel the wind through your hair, go swimming, or any other daily routines. And in the blink of an eye- it will all be gone, and you will be standing at Judgement before your Heavenly Father. And so I urge you to live like 1 Thessalonians 5:12 suggests "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus"

No comments:

Post a Comment