Saturday, July 3, 2010

Challenge 2010 Recap

Today I returned home from my second Challenge experience. It was just as amazing as I remembered it to be. Every evening at 5:42, a group called the Prayer Army would meet and spend time praying for the conference, the students, and really just anything and everything. This year I decided to be a part of that group and it was truly a blessing. Not only did I discover new different ways to pray, but on the last night of it God put on my heart what he wants me to use my spiritual gifts for. So there I was, last night of Challenge, sitting in the Prayer Army room. The speaker says "Take just a few minutes of silence to sit and listen to what God has to say to you." So, I sat. Immediately my sweet cousin Ethan's face popped into my head. At that very moment I knew what God was trying to tell me. I don't know when, where, or for how long, but I'm going to be working with kids just like my cousin Ethan who suffer from Autism. This was the first time I've ever felt God putting something that strongly on my heart and it was an awesome moment.
I wish I could sit here and type out every single thing I did at Challenge. All the inside jokes, laughter, tears, stories from the bus ride. But instead, I'm going to post some of the notes I took on the sermons, followed by some pictures.



SESSION #1
"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven."

-The first step to a new heart is to not keep anything, but surrender it all to God.
-If you're not willing to let go of ALL your stuff, you won't life a full and blessed life.
-Let God UNDO what's keeping you from him.

 SESSION #2
"Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy."

- Mercy must be EXPERIENCED before it can be given!
-Mercy is at the heart of God

5 COMPONENTS OF MERCY:
1) Awareness
-of those around you
2)Compassion
-am I moved emotionally by others pain?
3)Action
-am I moved to help?
4)Status
-am I willing to love my enemies?
5)Experience
-have I ever cried out for mercy? 

*When we PRAY God MOVES! 

SESSION #3
"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted."
-has nothing to do with the sadness of this life.
-God is trying to say that those who morn over the horror of what sin does will be blessed.
-It takes COMPLETE repentance of all sin in our lives to receive God's comfort and live a radical life.

SESSION #4
"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God."
-Purity doesn't come naturally, we must hate sin so much that purity invades every part of our life.
-A new heart = new life.
-Stop going by emotion and go back to scripture.

SESSION #5
"Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the Earth."
-A meek person has all the qualities of being a leader but these qualities are controlled by someone else.
-Meekness is about understanding WHO'S you are.

What it means to have a meek spirit:
1)A meek spirit commits its cause to Gods hand.
2)A meek spirit accepts person injury without resentment.
3)A meek spirit is patient with others.
4)A meek spirit understands what God has given to you and uses it with confidence, not arrogance.
5)A meek spirit NEVER gives up!

SESSION #6
"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God."

-If we have peace with God we need to demonstrate this peace toward others.
-Personify reconciliation with our lips and our lives.
-A peacemaker is one who brings unity.
-It starts with a pure heart, then we can personify peace.

Tips from D.A. Horton on sharing the gospel with others:
1)Gospel message transcends all ethnicities
2)Don't try to be someone you're not
3)Discipleship

SESSION #7

This wasn't a normal session. We had the opportunity to pray through different stations set up in the room. I didn't have a chance to go through them because an old friend from my youth group wanted to talk and pray with me. It was still a very powerful time, and God spoke to many in the room that night.

SESSION #8
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."
-righteousness= moral and spiritual perfection
-sanctification= process of the holy spirit working in us and making us more Christ like
-Worship is a way of life.
-Question to ask yourself: Will you worship your savior NO MATTER WHAT??

SESSION #9
"Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
 -The "Undone" life guarantees the blessing of persecution.
-We're blessed when we're persecuted for acting like Jesus.

What Jesus is NOT saying:
1)All persecution will receive blessing
2)Blessed are the self-righteous

Why persecution for Jesus is to be blessed:
1)Persecution is a compliment
-2 Timothy 3:12
2)Persecution is an opportunity to witness
3)Persecution is a mark of the saints.
-Matthew 5:12
-Hebrews 11
4)To know persecution is to know Jesus
-Phillipians 3:10
-1 Peter 2:12-14
-John 15:18-19 

          

1 comment:

  1. maisy, thanks for posting theses notes. I learned so much!! So happy your heart is tender towards the Lord. may He just be HUGE in you!
    love,
    mrs. w

    ReplyDelete